100+ Social Media Demographics that Matter to Marketers in 2021
Here are a few general social media demographic points you should know to help your brand find success:
#2: A user spends an average of 2 hours and 29 hours on social media each day.
Globally, internet users are spending more than 33% of their internet time on social media.
Source: Digital 2020
#3: Put another way, social media users are spending about 15% of their waking life on a social platform.
#6: 55% of all global social media users are male.
There is a digital gender gap. Social media demographics show the greatest gender divide is in southern Asia, where only 24% of social media users are female.
Source: Digital 2020
#7: Facebook continues to be the most popular social media platform among global users.
And the majority of its users are ages 18 to 34.
Source: Digital 2020
#8: >180 million more people used social media between July and September, 2020 compared to April, May and June, 2020.
That’s an increase of about 2 million new users per day.
Facebook has huge potential for social media marketers, so Facebook stats and Facebook social demographics matter.
Along with being one of the oldest social media platforms out there — in internet years, of course — Facebook also continues to be the most popular. Its daily active user base far exceeds the second-most used social media platform, YouTube.
General Facebook demographics
- There are >1.8 billion daily active users.
- Facebook has >2.7 billion monthly active users.
- Daily active users account for 66% of Facebook’s monthly active users.
- The number of American Facebook Messenger users is projected to grow from 126.3 million in 2018 to 138.1 million in 2022.
- The typical user will: like 12 posts, make 5 comments, share 1 Facebook post and click on 12 ads each month.
Facebook age and gender statistics
- 21.4% of all Facebook users are ages 45 and older. (But seniors are the fastest-growing Facebook age demographic.)
- 32.4% of all Facebook users are ages 25 to 34.
- More males (56.4%) than females (43.6%) are using Facebook. And male users ages 25 to 34 make up the biggest demographic of Facebook users.
Facebook geography statistics
- India has the most Facebook users in the world, with more than 310 million users.
- After India, the countries with the most users in the world are: the USA (190 million), Indonesia (140 million) and Brazil (130 million).
- Almost 80% of all Facebook users globally access the platform only via a mobile device.
Read more: Here are even more interesting Facebook demographics to help your brand with its social media strategy.
Instagram has also established itself as a must-have social media tool for marketers. Knowing social media demographics for this popular photo-sharing app will help focus your Instagram marketing strategy.
General Instagram demographics
Source: Digital 2020
- Over 1 billion users log into Instagram each month. (Specifically, there were over 854 million monthly users in 2020 and that number is projected to increase to over 988 million by 2023.)
- In 2020, users spent an average of 30 minutes a day on the app.
- 24% of users log in more than once per day.
- Over 500 million accounts use Instagram Stories each day.
Instagram age and gender demographics
- 51% of all Instagram users worldwide are female.
- One third of Instagram’s users are ages 25 to 34.
- Instagram is also popular among younger users. Instagram is the most-used social media platform among American teenagers.
Instagram geography demographics
- The USA has the most Instagram users in the world, with 140 million users as of October 2020.
- Following the USA, the countries with the most Instagram users in the world are: India (120 million), Brazil (95 million), Indonesia (78 million) and Russia (54 million.)
Instagram demographics by education
- As of February 2019, 37% of American Instagram users have some college education while 43% have attained a degree.
Read more: If your business relies heavily on Instagram, check out this post for 44 essential Instagram stats.
Twitter is currently the 13th most-popular social media platform in the world. While its reach might not be the same as Facebook or Instagram, there are plenty of opportunities for brands to engage with users on Twitter.
Here are key Twitter demographics that social media marketers should consider when building out their Twitter marketing strategy.
General Twitter demographics
- By the end of September 2020, Twitter’s average number of monetizable daily active users reached 187 million.
- In November 2020, the number of monthly active users reached 353 million.
- 52% of American Twitter users log into the platform every day. And 96% of Twitter users in the USA log in at least once a month.
- Most users Tweet only twice each month:
Twitter age and gender demographics
- 28.9% of Twitter users worldwide are between the ages of 24 and 34. And 57.1% of Twitter users worldwide are ages 25 to 49.
- Twitter is used more by males than females. 70% of Twitter’s advertising audience are male and 30% are female.
Source: Digital 2020
- The three countries with the highest percentage of female Twitter users are the Philippines (86%), Thailand (78%) and Indonesia (68%).
- 13% of American users keep their accounts private — and American women are more likely to keep their Twitter accounts private.
Twitter geography stats
- Twitter is most popular in the USA, where it has 68.7 million users.
- Japan (51.9 million), India (18.9 million) and Brazil (16.65 million) have the most Twitter users following the USA.
Twitter demographics by income and education
- According to data from February 2019, 24% of Twitter users in the USA have completed some college. 56% have either completed some college or have a degree.
- And 31% of American Twitter users earned over $75,000 per year.
Read more: Find more informative Twitter statistics to help drive your brand’s social media marketing strategy.
Snapchat launched in 2011, and since then, it’s become an incredibly popular social media platform for American teenagers. Brands trying to reach Gen Z should consider Snapchat as part of their marketing strategy — and take these Snapchat demographics into consideration when crafting their social strategy.
General Snapchat demographics
- Snapchat has 433 million users globally.
- 249 million people use Snapchat each day. (That’s an 18% year-over-year growth, as of October 2020.)
- On average, Snapchatters are spending more than 30 minutes on the platform each day — and also open the app more than 30 times a day.
- According to American Snapchatters surveyed in 2019, the main reasons for using the platform are to stay in touch with friends and family (74%) and for entertainment (42%).
Age and gender
- 59% of Snapchatters are female and 39% are male.
- 82% of users are under the age of 34.
- The platform’s largest advertising audience are females ages 13 to 17. At the beginning of 2020, the largest advertising audience was females ages 25 to 34.
Source: Digital 2020
Snapchat geography stats
- As of the summer of 2020, the USA has the largest Snapchat base with almost 102 million users.
- India (49.8 million), France (22.15 million) and the UK (19.15 million) follow the USA for the largest Snapchat base in the world.
Snapchat demographics by education
- 20% of American Snapchatters are college graduates and 29% have some college education.
As the second most-used social media platform in the world, YouTube should be on social media managers’ radars. And to create an effective YouTube marketing strategy, you need to know a few essential YouTube demographic stats.
General YouTube demographics
- YouTube has more than 2 billion users worldwide.
- YouTube has over 126 million unique monthly viewers.
- The average visitor spends 17 minutes and 22 seconds on YouTube daily.
- More hours of video content are being uploaded to YouTube each year, and in 2019, about 30,000 hours of new video content was uploaded each hour.
YouTube age and gender demographics
- As of September 2020, 72% of all male internet users in the USA used YouTube. That number is the same for females: 72% of American females who use the Internet will use YouTube.
- 77% of Internet users in the USA ages 15 to 25 use YouTube.
YouTube geography stats
- There are local versions of YouTube in over 100 different countries.
- According to data from 2019, 33% of popular channels upload a video in English.
- More than 70% of YouTube watch time is on mobile devices.
- In the USA, 41% of YouTube users access YouTube via a tablet device.
YouTube demographics by income and education
- 83% of Americans who say they’ve ever used YouTube earn $75,000 a year or more.
- 80% of Americans who say they’ve ever used YouTube have a college degree.
Download the complete Digital 2021 report—which includes online behavior data from 220 countries—to learn where to focus your social marketing efforts and how to better target your audience.
LinkedIn is the number-one site for employers to connect with prospective employees and vice versa.
It’s also a unique platform for marketers to reach one of the most affluent and educated user bases on social media. If you’re using LinkedIn for business, make sure you’re familiar with these LinkedIn demographics.
General LinkedIn demographics
- There are 722 million LinkedIn members worldwide.
- 40 million people use LinkedIn each week to search for jobs — and 3 people are hired each minute.
- In the USA, 22% of LinkedIn members visit the site daily.
Age and gender
- 43% of users are female; 57% are male.
- 59.9% of all LinkedIn users worldwide are ages 25 to 34. The next biggest user base of this social platform is the 18 to 24 age group, making up 20.3%.
- This age distribution differs in the USA: 40% of American Internet users ages 46-55 had used the platform.
LinkedIn geography demographics
- The country with the largest LinkedIn audience is the USA.
- There are over 174 million LinkedIn members in the USA, more than 71 million members are in India, more than 52 million members in China and more than 46 million members in Brazil.
- As of January 2020, Iceland has the highest LinkedIn audience reach with a reach of 88%.
- 57% of LinkedIn users access the site using their mobile device.
LinkedIn demographics by income and education
Read more: To get an even better idea of social media demographics for this platform, check out the top LinkedIn demographics that matter to social media marketers.
This image-sharing social platform launched in 2010, well before platforms like Snapchat and TikTok. Eleven years later, it is still the 15th most-popular social platform in the world, ahead of platforms including Twitter.
If your brand is using Pinterest for business, keep on top of these Pinterest demographics to leverage your brand’s social strategy.
General Pinterest demographics
- As of September 2020, Pinterest has 442 million monthly active users.
- In terms of usage: 98% of people use Pinterest to try new things, 89% use it to inspire purchases and 85% of Pinners use the social media platform to start a new project.
- 26% of American Pinners use the site daily.
Pinterest age and gender demographics
- More than 60% of Pinterest’s global audience are women.
- The percentage of male Pinners is increasing 50% year-over-year.
- 53% of female Internet users in the USA access Pinterest. And 18% of male Internet users in the States access Pinterest.
- Pinterest claims 8 out of 10 moms in the USA use the platform.
- The largest demographic of Pinners in the USA are ages 30 to 49 — this age group makes up 35% of American Pinners. But Gen Z Pinners are up 50% year-over-year.
Pinterest geography demographics
- The USA has the most Pinterest users by far: It has 97.22 million users.
- Pinterest’s user base outside of the USA is growing faster than the USA user base. As of September 2020, the USA has 98 million monthly active users. There are 343 million monthly active users outside the USA.
Pinterest demographics by income and education
- Of all American Internet users who have ever used Pinterest, 38% have a college degree.
- And 41% earn over $75,000.
TikTok got really big, really fast. And any brand trying to reach teenagers should consider adding TikTok into their social media marketing strategy.
While the platform isn’t for every brand, understanding basic TikTok demographics can help your business understand whether this platform is for you.
General TikTok demographics
- TikTok’s global audience is estimated to be close to 700 million.
- TikTok has approximately 14.95 million daily active users and approximately 62.8 million monthly active users.
- TikTok is the seventh most-used social platform in the world.
TikTok age and gender demographics
- 53% of all TikTok users globally are male. 47% of all TikTok users are female.
- In the USA, 32.5% of TikTok users are ages 10 to 19. And 29.5% are ages 20 to 29.
- 70% of American teens use TikTok at least once a month.
TikTok geography stats
- TikTok is one of the most downloaded apps in more than 40 different countries.
- It’s available in over 150 different markets and in 75 languages.
- TikTok’s leading market in the world, based on iOS revenue, is the USA.
- Israel has the fast-growing iOS TikTok market.
- The United Arab Emirates has the fastest-growing TikTok audience based on Google Play downloads.
Remember: knowing social media demographics for each platform is just one part of designing an effective social marketing strategy.
Creating an effective strategy can be done in just eight easy steps. And, of course, knowing social media demographics is one of them!